Thursday, December 01, 2005

50/50

Yesterday I had coffee with Amy and she said something that really hit home. She said that one of her friends recently said to her the sooner you give up the myth that men and women can have a 50/50 split, the sooner you will be able to enjoy things more. It is funny but I honestly believed that marriage could be 50/50 and in our case, I think before Abbi came along things were pretty evenly divided. Sure there were weeks where I felt I was doing everything and I am sure Steve felt the same way but now that Abbi is here, I just don't see us ever having a 50/50 split again. I fear that when I go back to work a lot of the stuff that I do now will still be expected because men just can't multi-task like women.

So my new goal is to remind myself every day that the 50/50 split is a myth. I will likely always carry more on my shoulders but hey- I am strong. I am a woman afterall! I am sure I will have momentary bouts of bitterness but that is normal isn't it?

No comments: