Saturday, October 31, 2009

What a week

A lot of tears this week. The H1N1 flu has been spreading like wildfire here. On Monday Lucas woke up crying and had thrown up in his bed. He had a low grade fever. Monday night it spiked to over 103 and I tried taking him to two clinics but the waits were more than 2.5 hours long. Tuesday morning his fever was 104 and I took him to emerg. We were there four hours. We tried to get him to pee into a bag to check for a UTI but that didn't work. Gary was working and ordered a chest x-ray. It came back with mild pneumonia. We left after a 4 hour visit with prescriptions for Tamiflu and Amoxicillin. While at the hospital, I found out that a board had fallen on the kitten and Steve was concerned it wasn't going to make it. He had to ask a neighbour to drive him and the cat to the Kitty Hospital!

Once home, Steve went to get the medicine for Lucas. On his way home he had to stop at the scene of an accident and help a woman who was having chest pain. Not sure if she was having a heart attack, he called 911.

Lucas didn't sleep the next two nights. His fever was very high and he was miserable! Abby and I went to St. Mary's to get the flu shot which worked out great. The next day though she started having a low grade fever and today her fever shot up to over 103. I went to emerg with her this morning at 4am and she was also diagnosed with this nasty bug. More Tamiflu! Between Tylenol, Advil, Tamiflu and amoxicillin our kitchen looks like a pharmacy!

The kitty is now home but needs a lot of rest. It is in our bedroom sleeping. We have to feed him by hand and help him out. He survived, but we have no idea what long term damage there might be.

Through all the challenges this week there was one major common thread. I miss my mom! When things are really tough (like on Tuesday), I can't help but feel an incredible void because I can't share the load with her. I know she "taught" me well and I am a strong woman because of her teachings but sometimes a person needs their mom.

I love you mom and miss you so much.

No comments: